Teacher- Special Education - High School
Job Type: Salary (37.50 hours per week)
Job Code: 5982
Location: Belfast 04915
About the Job
Come join an excellent team at Sweetser in Belfast, Maine working as a Special Education Teacher. Opportunity to prepare students for meaningful lives by contributing to their educational and social development. Helps parents by providing academic information, suggesting available eduational and social resources as well as addressing parents' concerns.Schedule: Monday through Friday 8am to 3:30pm. Year round, salaried position
- Contributes to school’s effectiveness by identifying short-term and long-range issues that must be addressed; providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of action; and implementing directives.
- Establishes and adjusts course outlines and objectives by following curriculum guidelines and state and local school system goals, and modifying plans on the basis of student diagnostic and assessment procedures.
- Conveys information to students by using language concepts, examples, demonstrations, and teaching aids, such as audiovisual equipment and computers.
- Maintains student learning results by providing instructional feedback; coaching, counseling, and disciplining students; and planning, monitoring and appraising learning results.
- Guides students’ personal and social development by establishing rules and procedures for administrative matters, student verbal participation, and student movement within the classroom, between classrooms, and on the playground.
- Helps parents by providing academic information; suggesting available educational and social resources; addressing parents’ concerns; and answering questions and requests.
- Assists the educational supervisor or high school and middle school teachers by developing and implementing prevocational unit.
- Assists students by encouraging them to be responsible for their own behavior by using the concept of logical or natural consequences.
- BS degree in Early Childhood and Elementary or Secondary Education or Special Education
- BS and eligibility for 282 teacher certification.
- Masters Degree preferred.
- Student Teaching in a self contained classroom is preferred Experience in teaching life skills preferred.
- Two to three years experience teaching in a Special Education classroom is preferred.
- Personal characteristics and temperament suitable for working with persons with special needs.
- Clean Driver's license.
What Our Clients Are Saying
Please accept this donation with our deepest gratitude. Andy, from Sweetser, responded immediately, in our time of crisis, to help me provide support and counseling to our staff after a very difficult event at our facility. I have worked here at the Androscoggin Animal Hospital for 15 years, and...