Peer Support Specialist
Job Type: Hourly (16.00 hours per week)
Job Code: 5547
Location: Brunswick 04011
About the Job:
The primary role of the Peer Support Specialist is to be an inspiration to individuals who are in crisis or are experiencing emotional distress. By applying the tools the Peer Support Specialist has developed in his or her own recovery as well as the philosophy and values of Intentional Peer Support, the Peer Support Specialist will:
- Build a connection
- Consider Worldview
- Maintain Mutuality
- And Move Towards a new way of being, within the new relationship being built with the individual
The Peer Support Specialist will collaborate, coach, and challenge individuals in viewing the crisis as an opportunity for growth and change; within each individuals Recovery process.
Schedule: 16 Hours per week
- State of Maine Certified Intentional Peer Support Specialist (CIPSS) Certification preferred. Upon hire, CIPSS certification required within 18 months of hire date.
- Meet annual State of Maine requirement to maintain CIPSS Certification.
- Paid, or unpaid, peer support experience preferred.
- Demonstrate understanding of Intentional Peer Support.
- Demonstrate knowledge of personal Recovery.
- Ability to be "emotionally present"; recognize when your not, seek support and communicate this to the Coordinator,
- Ability to work with diverse populations and accept differences in perspective and values.
- Basic computer skills; including receiving and sending emails.
What Our Clients Are Saying
In August, Rachel's state of mind developed into a crisis. Rachel did not want to exist. Her husband was away on a business trip and she was alone in the house. "I guess people who are thinking of committing suicide," she said, "just do it. They don't talk about it." But talk Rachel did. She...