A community setting for promising futures.
The Developmental Services program at Sweetser offers an opportunity for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities to live in a community setting in Bangor, Maine that supports wonderfully rich and fulfilling lives.
This is a community made for living an active life and strengthening independence, with guidance from direct support professionals.
Community living forges friendships and lifelong support networks. Community-based treatment teaches essential life and vocational skills.And residents with moderate to severe intellectual disability make meaningful contributions to the larger community.
Personalized treatment plans and developmental disability treatments include:
- making good choices and learning skills to live independently
- finding and keeping a job
- opportunities to engage with and be included in the wider community
- developing socially appropriate behaviors and interpersonal skills, like anger management, coping skills, and core self-esteem
- practicing functional skills like cleaning and maintaining a home, preventing and dealing with emergencies, reading street signs and bus schedules, problem solving, and more
Every program participant receives round-the-clock care from dedicated, highly trained direct support professionals. Transportation to and from medical and dental appointments, and more ensure better health and wellbeing.
If you have an adult family member with an intellectual or developmental disability, call 1-800-434-3000.