An internship at Sweetser is a great way to get experience in your academic field while still in school. We pride ourselves in strategically matching interns so that they receive the highest quality learning experience while being able to utilize skills already acquired.
Interns can be placed in many areas at Sweetser: from well-known positions in the MSW, LCPC social service fields to not-for-profit health care administration roles including Development, Training, and Human Resources.
Interns are placed at any time during the year, and the application process can be lengthy so you will want to give yourself plenty of lead time prior to your anticipated start date.
To begin the process, contact Karen Dow at 207-294-4456, or email at email@example.com.
When completing the forms please indicate:
- Your level of education. This will help determine the best placement.
- The number of hours that your internship requires you to complete.
- Your location. Sweetser has locations from Kittery to Deer Isle. It is helpful to know where you are located and how far you are able to travel.
- Days and hours you are available. Sweetser does not have clinical internships on nights or weekends. Please keep that in mind when applying.
- Your begin and end dates. Internships can begin or end at any time. The process to get accepted can be a bit lengthy, however, so please give enough lead time when submitting your application.
- Three references. Three references are required along with valid contact information. Your references can include your boss, professors, neighbors etc. We will accept written letters of recommendations.
We will need you to complete an additional form giving us permission to run a criminal and driver’s license check.
- We do not check your background until you receive a placement.
- Your acceptance to an internship is contingent on a clean background check.
Once we receive the appropriate paperwork, we begin to match your criteria with the programs that would be a good fit. This can take a little time.
If a supervisor thinks that an intern will be a good fit, he or she will call the intern to invite him or her in for an interview.
- The Supervisor will set the interview up to ask questions pertinent to their program
- They may also ask about the requirements of the internship
- Please arrive at your interview prepared to answer these questions.
If you are offered an internship, interns will be expected to attend a day-long orientation on a Monday.
- This is mandatory, so if you cannot attend the orientation, please do not apply for the internship.
- Clinical Interns will then attend Electronic Client Record training the remainder of the week.
- Direct Care Interns will attend Residential Orientation and CPR on Tuesday (Care will be taken so this does not interfere with classes)
This will be the beginning of your internship. You will decide on the days, and hours with your supervisor going forward.
If at any time during this process, you take an internship with another organization, please contact Karen Dow at 207-294-4456, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in Sweetser and best of luck with your education and career goals!